I cut the pattern out on a fold to make sure it's symmetrical. I cut two flannel pieces for the inside and one jersey (tee shirt material) for the outside.
I sew them right sides together.
Leave an opening at the top so you can turn it right side out when your done.
Mark where you want the elastic to go on the legs and across the back. Cut elastic about 1/2 the length of where you want it.
I use a clear elastic, I've read that it lasts longer.
I sew the elastic to the seam allowance. Zig zag stitch the end of the elastic on to the diaper. Then stretch it tight and zig zag over the elastic to keep it in place. Yes, I do end up sewing into the elastic it's self.
This is what it looks like when the elastic is all sewn in but before it's turned.
Clip the corners.
Turn it right side out and sew a top stitch on the top/front to close it. And you're done!
Inside of the finished diaper.
Finished diaper folded. I use a snappi to keep it closed.
I have made some with more of an inner soaker material but since they take so much longer to dry I like to do them like this and just lay in the extra absorbent insert. The ones that I have sewn the inserts into I just use those cheap prefolds that you get a target that most people use as burp rags.
And I should add that the flannel I used is from extra receiving blankets (I have over 20!) and the outside tie dyed material was a top bed sheet. I've heard that you can use jean and it makes for a great night time diaper because of it's absorbency. Old tee shirts work well too.