Respect, for me at least, is not quite as easy as it may seem. I mean, just because I know the definition of the word and am more than willing to be respectful doesn't at all mean that I have the slightest clue as to how to actually show respect. So here are a few things about showing respect that I learned. I'm sure I will be re-learning these and learning more as I grow. I thank God for the people he has put in my life to teach me.
* Tone of voice. I can sometimes sound like I am being condescending even if I am trying to compliment a person.
* Think before you speak. I get this feeling like I'll be working on this one for a while.
* Believe the best in the person. Don't jump to conclusions about why they did this or that.
* It is always better for me to think they had meant well than for me to assume they were just being a butthead before they have a chance to defend themselves.
* Don't say negative things about them to other people.
* It's not my job to teach them lessons, to show them "how it feels", or to be their Holy Spirit.
Well, I'm certain I have a LOT more to learn and I pray that God gives me wisdom in this area and in the rest of my life as well as a soft and teachable heart.