I started studying the women in Proverbs a couple months ago. I've only gotten as far as the first one. I'm not totally sure what I'm doing, as far as how to study this correctly so I just started out looking up the words in Strong's Concordance and the 1828 edition of Webster's dictionary. I figured I would go about it by doing a compare and contrast or in other words, if one is false or negative then the opposite must be true or positive. I should be ok on this route as long as the statements I conclude are found to be true in scripture, right? I imagine I will come across many principles taught in these verses more than once, at least that's what I'm hoping ;) I'd like for them to be ingrained into my mind, I'm so stupid at times.
Proverbs 2:16-19 16 So you will be delivered from the forbidden woman, from the adulteress with her smooth words, 17 who forsakes the companion of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God; 18 for her house sinks down to death, and her paths to the departed; 19 none who go to her come back, nor do they regain the paths of life.
- The forbidden woman- is someone to be delivered from, like an enemy.
- The godly woman- is a reward, a blessing to have.
- The forbidden woman- tickles your ears. Uses flattery (false praise; commendation bestowed for the purpose of gaining favor and & influence, or to accomplish some purpose.)
- The godly woman- Speaks the truth, her speech shows her modesty and propriety.
- The forbidden woman- forsakes, forgets, leaves, fails.. her husband.
- The godly woman- Remembers her husband (remember- to bear in mind with esteem, or to reward. to bear in mind with praise or admiration; to celebrate. to bear in mind with favor, care, and regard for the safety or deliverance of anyone. to bear in mind with intent to reward. to bear in mind with confidence; to trust in. to bear in mind with the purpose of assisting or relieving. to bear in mind with reverence, to obey.) She wins her husband.
- The forbidden woman- forgets her vows, her covenant, forgets God. Has no regard to God or his word.
- The godly woman- fears God, obeys His word. Remembers the covenant she made before God.
- The forbidden woman- her house sinks, brings down her house and her family.
- The godly woman- builds up her house, strengthens the members of her family. Her house is founded on The Rock.
- The forbidden woman- her ways lead to death.
- The godly woman- her ways point to life.
- The forbidden woman- the consequences of being taken by her cannot be taken back.
- The godly woman- she does not lead anywhere but on the paths of life.